Friday, February 15, 2008

Agility ABC's 2/14/08

Great class last night! For the last bunch of weeks we had been working on things where it wasn't as easy for me to be a stupid human. Well last night we finally got to the point where I could be a total dork. First, as Katrin said and I agree with, I run like a mushroom when I am bringing Makin through obstacles. Second, I need to remember to use all of my command. If I "wait" Makin I have to always remember to use the proper release word instead of just encouraging her to go. This way I can increase the effectiveness of the command and make it more reliable. Third, I have been so focused on behavior when we go to the park and in the house and have not been working on "down" enough (I think I just made and excuse for myself, this blog thing may keep me honest). Makin knows down but that does not mean she is good at it. She is deliberate and slow, not just in the cold, but even at home on a rug. We will have to work hard on this because the box will be a killer without a quick reliable down. Fourth, flailing my arms and hands is not going to get Makin to do something. Looking like a mushroom and flailing is even worse, never mind the fact that I look stupid.

Now, you may ask why I would I do this is if I am going to be hard on myself. Well, the answer is that I have a blast doing it. When I was writing the above section I was actually smiling at my silliness. I like the agility class because not only does Makin have to learn but I do as well and if I don't do things well I only make it harder on her. It’s a challenge and it is fun when we do something new.

Last night Makin did great on the touch plate. She went over a bar, over a six inch jump, touched the plate and came back. The way out was a little slow but she picked it up on the way back because she had cheese on the brain. Six weeks ago I did not think we would be able to do that. Again, not giving the goofball enough credit. She also did well on the outs. We were able to consistently go around the cone and the two gates. Now I just need to be able to stay away from the cone (entry) and still get her to do the out (remembering not to be a flailing mushroom).

Lael had to work last night which is why there are so many "I's in this post. We will see if she looks like a flailing mushroom or if she has some other silly human thing she does. We missed her though. I was tired because I had no relief. I think that means I need to start running again. Pathetic.

2 comments:

Jules said...

It sounds like it was a great class and that you and Makin are both making loads of progress. yay! I am bummed Carmen had to miss it!

Katrin said...

Ok that's going on my list for future use- "Flailing Mushroom"

LOL!!!

All of you in class are coming along excellently. I'm very impressed!

And like I said, 90+% of agility is THE HANDLER. And you're doing great! :-)