Friday, March 21, 2008



Sometimes a resident's hours can have its perks. Today, I had the morning/afternoon off so I was able to hang out with the girls. We snuggled on the couch, although I made the mistake of leaving my phone in the other room so I when it rang I lost valuable ground.

Then we headed to the park for some romping around. Tessa did her usual introduction to other dogs followed by the taunting sprint away- the other dogs always fall for it and the chase begins. One of the most valuable lessons I learned in Tessa's Good Manners class was the subtle nuances of recall. Timing your recall is key. I could stand there yelling, "Tessa Come!!" over and over again as she's sprinting away, like I used to, but that just puts me in a bad mood. Instead, I waited till she was sort of running towards me anyway, then I called for her, and like magic she came! And I looked like a calm, in-control person and Tessa looked like the best dog ever and we had everyone fooled! It was great!

And Good ole Makin did her usual thing of sitting on the other people's laps as they leaned down to pet her, hoping no dogs would mistake her for Tessa and start to playing with her.

It's a good day, too bad I have to go to work now.

On a completely different note, yesterday was The Match, which is one of the most exciting days in a medical student's life; it's the day you find out where you'll be spending the next 3-5 years of your life. I found out some great friends of mine are coming to my program, so I'm super excited!

3 comments:

Katrin said...

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "And I looked like a calm, in-control person and Tessa looked like the best dog ever and we had everyone fooled!"

I'm cracking up over here with that one.

hey at least you learned something in Manners 2 right?! :-P

Makin & Tessa (Lael and Neil) said...

OK Maybe a bit of an exaggeration as Tessa is actually doing a lot better with distracted recall.

And yes, we learned a lot in Manners 2!

Jules said...

Yay, Tessa and Lael!