Saturday, March 29, 2008

Last Agility ABC Class / More Ducks/ Meeting the Moose

Makin had her final agility class this week She picked a good evening to have a relaxed night. She didn't tense up on us like she had in the last couple of weeks and seemed to be excited. I was a little surprised by this because she typically gets nerved up by other dogs and there was a person from the other ABC class there with her huge black lab that had a booming bark. No response from Makin on this. Awesome.

A little side-bar on this lab. I am guessing he weighed about 100 pounds and was interested in seeing him do the obstacles. He was excited, fast, and seemed to be having a blast. I wish I could get Makin to be that excited.

This week we worked a chute where we had multiple jumps with the tire mixed in, the A frame, the teeter followed by a jump, and then the tunnel with our first attempt at the weave poles. Makin did great on the chute and exhibited her speediness as she was able to get out ahead of and finish the jumps without us by her side. We then worked the A frame. Makin does well on this obstacle as long as the silly human thinks about their body language. Lael worked Makin great while I had another brain fart! Right now we are using a "wait" on the contacts and as I got to the back side I slammed on the breaks instead of having a smooth transition. Frustrating! Next up was the teeter. Makin seems to enjoy anything that she has to run up/on. Finally we ended with a tunnel and the weave poles (set of six). As this was our first introduction to weaves we had the guides (x-pens) to help the dogs through. I was happy that Makin was not spooked running through as we start a weave pole class in a few weeks and will be spending time working this obstacle every day. We are looking forward to it.

Well there were more ducks at the park this week. While Makin must have remembered how cold the water was; a little goof ball named Tessa did not. That is her below swimming in the hopes of scoring a mallard! The other picture below is of Tessa on one of the trails we use. I liked it because she looks pretty strong for a wee lass.

Today, Saturday, we met our new friend Moose. This little guy is a 16 week old black lab. He is bigger and heavier than either of our girls and I think he is going to be a big boy. We met Moose and his parents (Lauren and Chris) at the park this morning. We normally like the park that we went to. Not today. Some crummy owners. Upon entering the field one of the dogs immediately went after Tessa. That was the end of the field for the day. I don't think the owner of this obnoxious little guy enjoyed how I broke up the little melee! Nobody got hurt though so I suppose you can say there was some success. The rest of the walk was fun and it was good to meet Moose as I am sure he will be playing with Tessa quite bit in the future. He is one sweet little pooch.

The other day Tessa got spooked by some loud noises. She ended up falling asleep on the couch in the awkward position below. Silly goose!

13 comments:

Andrew Campbell said...

Neil: if it's any consolation, even when I know he's jacked, Momo almost never looks possessed when he's hunting. He's just very chill and business like... I'm not surprised to read that he probably gets that from his mom.

And rude dogs invariably get it from their owners. I know your frustration.

Moose looks like a nice, happy friend.

A+M+M+J

Jules said...

Is Tessa alseep in that final picture? That is HYSTERICAL.

I am glad Makin ended classes on a relaxed note. That's awesome. I have thought a lot about what might cause my own moody boy to be stressed out in class. I think for us it is a combination of the doggie dynamics in class and what is going on in our home life (i.e. work/life stresses). Just a thought - I never clued in to how my stress might carry into class until recently. It makes sense since my guy is very sensitive to emotions.

Katrin said...

Baxter is about 75#, not 100. He's a tank though! But a very nice boy.

Makin & Tessa (Lael and Neil) said...

Andrew, yes she certainly does pick her spots and is very business like.

Julie, Tessa is indeed sleeping like that. Not sure how she was breathing though. I guess with practice sleeping under blankets anything is possible. And yes I think you are right about stressers outside of class. Prior to the third to last class Lael and I were "debating" an issue in an animated fashion on the ride to class. Makin may have picked up some of that energy!

Katrin, Baxter is a tank and seems to be a very nice boy with great people. It was a pleasure to watch them work.

Blue said...

Just wanted to say that I love the first picture of Moose! It's such a neat angle (of a very cute puppy).

Rude dogs are so frustrating... Glad Tessa wasn't hurt.

Makin & Tessa (Lael and Neil) said...

Hi Blue,

Yeah it's a cool picture of the little monkey. Lael likes to play with the camera and is getting better with it. Not quite as cool as your photos though.

Its not so much the dog that I get frustrated with but the owner who stands there and glares at you when you remove their dog from yours.

Delilah and Rocket said...

Congrats on completing class! Rocket and I start April 17th. We're working on sit/stays at home. I'm also working on his recall when we are at the dog park. Rocket can sometimes go from Hero to Zero with distractions. I'm praying that when we get to class he doesn't wig out like a nut job and get asked to leave ... pray for me!

Rude people = rude dogs! how true. People get so upset when I haul their 100+ lb of humping dog off my 66 lb Vizsla. They proceed to tell me "they are just playing" I'd like to whack some of these people over the head with a V8!

Makin & Tessa (Lael and Neil) said...

First, wow, a 66 lb V. Makin is 40 and Tessa is 36! That is one heavy lap dog!

Have fun in class. Its a lot of fun. We start a weave pole class in a few weeks which should be challenging.

Anonymous said...

Hiya,

Really like your blog and will be checking in to see your adventures.

Zig x

Delilah and Rocket said...

Yep! 66lbs of Vizsla love. I guess we fed him real well as a pup! When he lays on you .... it's hard to move and all the other Vs we have met he outweighs by at least 15lbs or more

Laila said...

Hi! Love your blog! Good luck with the agility classes!

Andrew Campbell said...

Lael, Neil, Makin + Tessa: Rocket was kind enough to present us with an award. We'd like to share one with you. It's up on our blog.

Hope to read more adventures soon.

A+M+M+J

Katrin said...

Don't forget- you're signed up for CGC class starting tomorrow. See you folks there!