Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Quiet on the Blog-Front

We have been blog silent for a bit now. That is not to say we have been up to nothing, or no good for that matter. Life has been a little crazy lately. I found a new job and will be starting with a new company in just a few days. Crazy, scary, exciting and rewarding can sum up my feelings on the job search and reasons for finding a new job. Hopefully all works out.

On the V front we have been a little quiet as well. Agility ABC's has ended but we have a new class starting tomorrow. Makin starts a 6 week weave pole course which will be challenging. We are now the proud owners of two sets of six weave poles. They were not cheap but are an investment in both of the girls. Although Makin is the only one formally training we plan on getting Tessa started this summer.

Tessa has started her Canine Good Citizen (CGC) class. We have had one class where we worked on loose leash walking and being greeted by a person with manners. I must admit that I have failed Tessa a little and will therefore have to work with her quite a bit if we want to have a shot at passing the test. I typically have the girls off leash and do not spend as much time with the leash. I also allow jumping on me a little to much. She is gentle and not pushy but it is still bad manners. The other challenge we have is that everyone we know tends to let her jump on them. It is our responsibility to prevent this but the messages sent to her are not consistent as we are asking her to get off while they are rubbing her ears or head. Again, training people, especially people who consider themselves well versed in training or handling dogs can be a challenge. In no way am I saying that I know it all or even a fair amount but asking people to respect what you want to happen can be frustrating.

Both Lael and I had the day off today (although Lael is at work for the evening) and we spent a wonderful today together. We went to the park in the morning where the girls were able to run the trails and even did a bit of swimming. It was a great day out but I was happy to have had them run before the heat kicked in. Lael and I then purchased new running shoes and went for a nice run. I am hoping to get in a few races this summer and in particular a few triathlons.

Tomorrow should be another great day. We plan on going to the park in the morning and then hopefully get in a quick nine holes of golf before we we head to weave pole class in the evening. Hopefully golf won't be too frustrating, but as Mark Twain once said, golf can be "a good walk spoiled"!

Hopefully we can get some pictures tomorrow and do an update on the day, weave poles and our loose leash walking and other CGC work.

1 comment:

Andrew Campbell said...

Phew! I thought you'd all gone off on an extended vacation someplace. Now I know you were just changing jobs, starting new agility classes, and occupied with two vizslas.

Momo has always been a jumper, he's actually gotten better over time. I'll be honest and say that I did use the e-collar to train that out of him -- his desire to be almost literally in your face was a little much.

His cousin, Kyler, though has a wicked cool trick. When you make the appropriate command gesture, she simply leaps straight up in the air to get caught under her butt so you can wrap her round your neck like a scarf. She loves it. She just started doing it for me. I love her.

Will you all be going to the VCCNE Fun Day on May 31st?

best
Andrew, Meg + Their Regal Majesties

PS: in advance of your next post, you're welcome for the award. I like reading your blog because it's honest about the trials and tribulations of owning v-dogs. They rock, but they're hard work.