Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Rough Day for Tessa: and still not out of the woods


Today started like any other day. Makin, Tessa and I went to the park. We went to run the trails by the BC law school, a place we USED to frequent often. We came home, had breakfast crated up and and I went to work. I came home at lunch to find Tessa out of sorts. It can be best described as a drunk sort of look. She wasn't walking correctly and for a girl who likes to give kisses, she was not giving any. Totally out of sorts. We immediateley hopped in the car and headed for the emergency vet. Her heart rate was low and her temperature was down. I am fairly certain she didn't eat anything funny at home so my best guess is she got into something at the park. Her symptoms closeley resembled symptoms that Joszi had a while ago. She has since improved. Her heart rate is back up and she is warm again. Anti freeze has been ruled out and pictures show nothing evident in her belly. She is more active and seems more alert and doesn't look like she is gonna pass out at any moment. She is on a drip and will not recieve food tonight. She is on a close watch at the hospital.

Needless to say I have been a wreck al day long. The drive to the ER was nothing short of scary. The forester has not and probably will never go that fast again. Thankfully there was no traffic. Lael works in the ER tonight but we are going to visit when she gets off of work. The hospital, Tufts, seems very accomodating. We have had good experiences there in the past. I am certainly going to do a dry run to Angel in the next couple of days. I had directions but didn't want to risk getting lost so we shot out to Walpole. A ride that would normally take me 30 minutes took less than 20. Yikes.

I know we are not out of the woods yet and the morning could bring something new. But I am more optimistic now than I was this afternoon. Please throw some good thoughts out there for little Tessa. She needs them and she needs to come home and take advantage of the new fence that will be in full effect tomorrow. Makin is defineteley wondering where her buddy is and wondering why we are not at agility tonight. I figured it would be safest to keep Makin away from other dogs even though she has no symptoms or issues. Better to be safe than sorry.

You may be wondering why I post now. Bottom line is I just don't know what else to do and I can't stop thinking about our little girl. The house seems kinda quiet right now.

6 comments:

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

oh no! I'm so sorry to hear Tessa isn't well. Sending ::: get better vibes::: your way!

Blue said...

Oh poor Tessa! I hope she feels better soon. It's awful when one of the dogs is sick :(

Katrin said...

OMG!! Wondered why you folks weren't at class last night. Eeek! Hope she is ok now! Please keep us posted when you can.

Jules said...

Oh no!!! Tessa, Makin, Lael, and Neil you are in my thoughts (and Ike, Bug, and Carmen's). There is NOTHING worse than the nauseous feeling as you tear to the ER vet with your beloved dog not being themselves HOPING the vet will have an answer. Ugh.

We figured something came up. :(

Hopefully Ms. Ethusiasm will be back to normal in short order. Hugs.

Delilah and Rocket said...

Good vibes coming your way from Michigan. We'll keep you in our thoughts. Get better Tessa!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that Tessa is so ill. It is awful when they are ill. Sending you my best wishes for Tessa's speedy recovery

Anna