Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Spring is in the Air

It was a nice warm, muddy, sloppy morning at the park. Makin's second joy in life, with her first being pheasants and similar birds, is clearing a field of Canadian Geese. We saw some at the park this morning. When spotted they were approximately 200 yards away. To reach them required splashing through a chest deep stream, or at least I thought Makin would have to touch the water. Nope, Makin cleared the stream and the field of birds in just a few minutes. These are the days I wish I had a little more of the "hunter" in me. I know for some, Makin is probably not the ideal hunting dog but she certainly does love to work the fields and woods looking for them. Tessa is starting to look for them a lot more often although she is just as likely to point the snow man as she is to point a bird!

Flyball is something that I read about on the Regal Vizsla. We had seen a demo on this at a VCCNE fun day but had not considered it because Makin is not into chasing balls a whole lot. I do think that Tessa may be good at this. She loves tennis balls, soccer balls, basketballs...etc. She is also very good with the touch plate. Last evening after a little work on the touch plate I had them follow me into the bedroom. Tessa disappeared and then reappeared 30 seconds later with the plate. (I stupidly didn't pick it up) Seems like she decided that if I wasn't going to watch her touch it, then she was going to bring it to me so she could get her cookie. Silly girl!

3 comments:

Jules said...

Smart doggie!

Andrew Campbell said...

Well, if Makin is like her son, Momo, then she wouldn't want to spend any time immersed in water nor be psyched by tennis balls! That's what's going to be so interesting when I pick up Momo from Bob Seelye, to see him retrieve after being force-fetched. Can't wait to see both of the monsters next week.

best
A.

Makin & Tessa (Lael and Neil) said...

The one time we took Makin hunting she retrieved the one bird the gunner got as well as the one the gunner missed. Yes, she brought the bird back, alive, was praised and let the poor thing run away. It looked a little dazed but happy to be free. Not a strong "wait" when the gun goes off.

She loves to swim however, but only if there are birds or bugs to chase. Rain is a completeley different issue altogether.